Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Day 118

Objective:  The students will read more of Act I.

Allusion Notes: “ I am not what I am.”

1.       Review: Quick oral review of yesterday’s reading and Power Point.

2.       Instruction: Othello Act 1 Scene 2 Notes: Students write notes out so that they understand what they will read today.

3.       Othello Act 1 Scene 2: Pages 1367-1371 (this takes 4:44 minutes)

4.       Check for Understanding: Fill in the blanks from Act 1 Scene 2 Notes to check for understanding.

5.       Instruction: Othello Act 1 Scene 3 Notes up to line 174

6.       Read Act 1 Scene 3 up to 176 (This takes 8:28 minutes)

7.       Check for Understanding:  Go over note blanks and check for understanding.

8.       In

Biblical Allusion and Othello Act I Scene 1

“I am not what I am.”

·    Exodus 3:14

·    “And God said unto Moses, ‘I Am That I Am’: and he said, ‘Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.’”

·    When God identified Himself as I AM WHO I AM, He stated that, no matter when or where, He is there and all good.

·    God is basically saying that he is eternal and immutable, he is constant and faithful in fulfilling his promises, for all time, past, present, and to come.

·     When Iago says "I am not what I am," he cryptically suggests that he's not what he appears to be. Basically he is the opposite of God.

·    This phrase, is an inversion of God's line, "I am what I am" (Exodus 3.14), which is in keeping with the play's alignment of Iago with the devil.

dependent work: Act 1 Questions from what we have read. 

No comments: